Monday 10 September 2007
Welcome

Welcome to Existencilism – the blog that does exactly what it says on the tin. Over the last few years, I have collected a vast array of photos of graffiti in its various guises. In fact, if my suspicions are correct, the said collection is now self-perpetuating and I no longer have any control over it. In short: I am a slave to my digital camera.

useless fact #1:
‘graffiti’ is the plural of ‘graffito’, although I wholeheartedly recommend that you avoid using the latter when trying to play art critic with your friends – for a closed mouth gathers no foot


In any case, I have decided to use this blog as a forum through which not only to share my photos with anyone who is remotely interested, but also try and convince at least one person that there is a lot more to the art of graffiti than idiots writing ‘Sarah has big tits’ on the side of houses inhabited by the elderly. Such wanton lack of imagination frustrates me no end. Not to mention that I know a selection of women named Sarah and none, I repeat none, are well endowed in the mammary department – making such scrawl patent misrepresentation.

(off Brick Lane, London, April 2007)

In the average city, there are hundreds of examples of ‘graffito’ (see, it does sound daft). Whether it is employed to communicate social and politically-loaded messages or simply to exhibit the artistic talents of someone who has chosen to decorate walls over canvas; what is undeniable is that there is a lot more to graffiti than mindless vandalism.

Open your eyes and enjoy the view.


posted by Si at 15:48






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


I'm Simon. I'm 25 and I reside in Manchester, UK. I am living proof that man can live off Potato Waffles alone. At any given time, I'd rather be pillaging.












Add to Technorati Favorites